HISTORY OF THE LIBRARY
The Gratis Public Library (officially named the Marion Lawrence Memorial Library) was started by the Gratis Berema Club in 1933...with just187 books.
The library has moved to and from many different locations in our small town the most recent was into part of Gratis Fire House on Franklin Street. Then in 1985, a the new Firehouse was constructed, and the Library Board remodeled the old building to accommodate a bigger and better Library. The Gratis Public Library now occupies the entire structure.
In 1990, the library purchased the adjoining lot and created a small community park.
The library is a place dedicated to provide resources to satisfy community needs for educational materials, enrichment and recreational reading. It serves the village of Gratis and surrounding area as a gathering place and information center.